12.02.2009

diy yarn ornaments for kids

I am loving Christmas in blogland.  
If I thought it was remotely possible to over-celebrate Christmas, which I don't, I would be guilty.
Very merrily guilty.
So guilty, in fact, I'm certain all the neighbors blame us for the power outage that occurred when we turned on our gazillion outdoor Christmas lights and had just plugged the final switch in for our tree.  I am convinced it was our fault because we are, after all, the only house on the block with Christmas lights up!  It was like a scene from National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation.  

This week, Exemplify is hosting a Christmas event on the traditions we have for celebrating Christmas in  our homes.  While power outages are certainly not a tradition  (we hope!),  we have filled our home with many other Christmas traditions.  We often refer to it as Jesus' Birthday and the gifts received are from him, and the gifts given are for him.  We look for ways to bless His heart during this special season and we want to teach our children to notice opportunities to give.  Now that Thaddeus is nearing an age where he understands so much more about the world around him, this is the perfect year for us to make lasting traditions and among those I want the focus to be on giving to others because that is truly the best way to give to Jesus.  I'm excited about making a list with Thad this year on what we can do to give to those in need and to love on our Savior.

Some of our other fun traditions are Christmas crafts.  We get crazily crafty over here.  Last year we made cookie ornaments and a styrofoam nativity scene.  This year I definitely want to continue those fun traditions.  Making a nativity scene was a great way to visually share the Christmas story with my Little Man and he loved it.  We already made some yarn ornaments to hang in our windows and I thought I would post the how-to.

How to make yarn ornaments  
(our very messy version!)

You will need:
Balloons
Colorful yarn
White glue
Leftover ribbons

First, prepare your craft area with newspaper or a vinyl tablecloth.  Then you will need a bowl to fill with equal parts white glue and water.  Blow up the balloons to the size you would like.  The dip the end of your yarn in the glue and placed a heavy metal object over it to keep in place as you pull the yarn through the glue (daddy's ingenious idea).  Then tie the yarn onto the knotted end of the balloon and begin to wrap the yarn around the ballon until you are satisfied with how it looks.  Side note:  Don't overwrap it--make sure there are spaces at least an inch to an inch and a half wide.

Hang the balloon outside to dry (if you must tie it up indoors be careful where you place it because the glue will drip!)  Allow it to dry for at least 24 hours.  Then pop the ballon and use a small pair of scissors to carefully cut the balloon out of the ornament.  Tie some decorative ribbon around it, maybe even dust it in some glitter, and hang it up in your window to enjoy!

21 comments:

Lindy said...

I love yarn so you bet I think these ornaments are super cute. Good idea!

Veronica said...

What an awesome idea! Sounds like you guys have a ton of fun at your house!

Unknown said...

Awesome craft idea! I will have to have the hubby help me, because I really don't like balloons, like at all! So much fun!

Penny said...

Those are ridiculously beautiful!! I'll have to try!

Andrea said...

Thank you! These are awesome!
Blessings, andrea

Kristin said...

I am laughing at Kate's comment! :D I think those ornaments are really neat! I just can't get into Christmas this year. I have no idea why. Maybe after I put up the tree this weekend, I will feel more into it.

Anonymous said...

I love the ornaments, what kind of yarn do you use?? and also how do you get the scissors in there once you pop the balloon?? I was looking at some of the ones you made and the string is so darn close How?? you have got talent !!! Please let me know want to make them this weekend with the grandkids. Thanks, Esther
g.e.harper55@gmail.com

Tracy said...

That is so fun! What a great tradition...crafty Christmas! Thanks for sharing that. Wonderful blog. Blessings.

christy rose said...

What an awesome idea!!! They are so cute and festive!

Mich said...

Cute idea. i have really enjoyed all your christmas ideas.

Christmas is such a fun event. I believe in celebrating BIG.

Joyful said...

Oh what fun traditions.
This Saturday I will be helping our church feed the homeless in Atlanta. I so look forward to it.

Alison said...

I L-O-V-E this yarn ornament idea and will be making some (even though I don't have kids! haha)

Victoria said...

Gorgeousness!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful ornaments!! We're making whole wheat christmas sugar cookies with frosting tomorrow.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lisa Grace said...

Thanks ... now we have a MESSY project to add to our other pretty gooey projects :) They are so cool though! I love it. Now to figure out how to store them...

He & Me + 3 said...

super cute ornaments. my girls would love to make those.

Heather said...

I love the yarn ornaments!!!

Marsha said...

Absolutely gorgeous! I'm going to share this with my daughters to do with their children.

Melissa Lea said...

YARN ORNAMENTS!

They are darling!

Holly said...

Those yarn ornaments are so cool!!! My goodness you are crafty! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Do ask. Do tell.

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape