12.02.2011

our diy advent calendar and world vision



I've always loved advent calendars and this year I decided to make one for our family.  It's just another way for us to focus all our attention and expectation on Jesus' First Coming and what it means to us.  The word advent literally means 'arrival'.  Jesus' arrival on earth changed everything.  And I'm just as excited as my kids to spend the next 24 days (and everyday for eternity) unwrapping the greatest gift of all:  the love of our Saviour God.

 I've filled the boxes with little notes and some special treats.  Each note has an activity and devotion for us to do together as a family.  We'll read through the birth of Jesus in Luke 15 and we'll talk about the person and promises of Jesus revealed to us in Isaiah 9:6:  Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.  

We're also reading through Sharing Christ's Love , an advent resource for children that I found on the World Vision website under their free seasonal resources (click those words to view it and download for free)  I really love the focus in this resource on global compassion and the words of Christ in Matthew 25:40: whatever we do for the least of these, we do for Him.  That's what Christmas is all about, Charlie Brown.

You can also view the World Vision Gift Catalog online with your family and give the gift of a goat, chickens, clean water, or even medical supplies.  The options are endless, the needs are great, and giving has never been made so easy.






11 comments:

emilyclare said...

Oh :) what a wonderful advent calendar! I grew up with the kind where my mum (and later as teenagers us children) filled the day's boxes with special treats, bible verses, planned adventures or instructions. Its such a good way to anticipate and reflect on the gift of Jesus.

I've made one out of envelopes for my husband and I to do this year round - now that we're celebrating our first Christmas on our own and in another country :)

Southern Gal said...

Such a lovely advent calendar. I'm making ours this morning and needed to read this. Thank you for giving me another area to focus on.

Lisa Grace said...

Such fun! We made ours, too; I think it makes it that much more special :)

bethany@thetharpesblog said...

one of my favorite advent calendars i've seen!! absolutely adorable!

Kelly said...

you are so creative!

MandyE (Twin Trials and Triumphs) said...

What a beautiful calendar, and of course a beautiful sentiment.

It's been so much fun to see how different families are building their advent calendars...I've already got some great inspiration for next year.

Hope you are well, Miss Joye! :)

Sarah said...

Oh wow I love the calendar!!! So creative and such great memories for your kids. The striped twine is awesome too! I have to admit I'm kinda coveting the vintage looking paper. ;)

- Sarah
http://agirlintransit.blogspot.com

Lauren said...

love the vintage feel!! So beautiful and fun! We got our World Vision Catalog last week and I can't wait to pick what we're going to do! :)

Rachel~Wildflower Photography Studio and Wildflower Creative said...

so cute, joye! :) i need to get our advent calendar up...

Dee said...

thank you for the WV kid's advent activity link! we're a bit late starting, but i might ditch the "schoolwork" and do this witht he kiddos from now til Christmas instead. thankyou, thankyou, thankyou X

Unknown said...

Joye, I love this

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Do ask. Do tell.

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape