4.23.2012

small things in great faith

my very own little woodland fairy, i barely could capture her, she's always aflutter

I'm still here!  I promise.  Just feeling kind of blah lately and craving guacamole, chocolate covered everything, and tomato juice by the gallon.  Sometimes in that order, but hey, sorry to gross you out. I'm remembering all too well how the first trimester goes.  My body is picky, it wants peace and quiet and long hours with a book and it doesn't get appeased until after 9:30 p.m.

But other than that stuff, I still have other stuff that I'm trying to sort out in my heart.  Big things I always wanted to do for God and He keeps reminding my little brain that small things are sometimes the most important.  Small things done in great faith.  And even then, He's not so much worried about the doing than he is about my simply "being" with Him, in Him, a part of Him.

I should write this quote all over my house:
"Does it make sense to pray for guidance about the future if we are not obeying in the thing that lies before us today? How many momentous events in Scripture depended on one person's seemingly small act of obedience! Rest assured: Do what God tells you to do now, and, depend upon it, you will be shown what to do next." ~ Elisabeth Elliot
My prayer has become, "God, show me what you desire for me to do this day.  However small, however big, give me the grace to do it."


13 comments:

carissa said...

my heart is here too... focusing on the small things for this season. xoxo, sweetie! hope you get as much choc and guac as your tummy pleases.

Abigail Jasmine said...

Beautiful prayer dear sister!

Enjoying this beautiful life we've created said...

I love this! Thank you for the reminder...I need to go and write it on my whiteboard right now!!

Linda said...

I love this quote by Elisabeth Elliot. She is always so clear and straight to the point! (:>)

I think I will pass this encouragement on today.

Thanks!
Have a blessed day!

Love, Linda @ Truthful Tidbits

Lisa said...

Love the quote! I was recently reminded just how BIG the act of faithful mothering is. It may not be serving as a missionary in Africa, but the littles are our own mission field to serve and interceed for.

Mary said...

i absolutely love that quote. so.very.true.
so glad that you are doing well, sweetie.
i have tons of avocados just waiting to be eaten, if you wanna come on over! :)

nicole said...

oh, i need that e. elliot quote today. thank you.

Joy said...

Thou shared that quote for me.

xxoo

Kelly said...

I love that quote. It's so spot on.

BARBIE said...

A beautiful quote. I must past it everywhere so I see it continuously.

Danice said...

LOVE this!!!! Thank you for sharing!!! I too should plaster that quote all over my house and live in that truth...I think everyone under my little roof would be better off if I did :) There is so much He has for me NOW, in the little things...besides, who knows? They may not actually be that little in the end ;)

Katie Cook said...

So love this quote by Elisabeth Elliot, she is a favorite:) It reminded me of this quote by Henri Nouwen which says "We have to keep asking God to help us see clearly what our call is and to give strength to live out that call with trust. Then we will discover that our faithfulness to a small task is the most healing response to the illness of our time."

Just found your blog and am really enjoying it!Love Katie

Unknown said...

First of all, CONGRATS! :-) and I always crave guacamole, seriously always. And I LOVE that quote so much!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Do ask. Do tell.

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape