4.07.2009

The Fragrance of Faith


I was reminded today what it truly looks like to live at the feet of Jesus.
"When a woman who had lived a sinful life in that town learned that Jesus was eating at the Pharisee's house, she brought an alabaster jar of perfume, and as she stood behind him at his feet weeping, she began to wet his feet with her tears. Then she wiped them with her hair, kissed them and poured perfume on them." Luke 7:37-38

It cost her everything.  Matthew and Mark recount this story as well and we are reminded that this alabaster jar of perfume was costly.  Very costly.  So much so that the Pharisee rebuked the woman for wasting it and not giving it to the poor.  But Jesus defends her saying that "her many sins are forgiven--for she loved much" (Luke 7:47).  And then He looks right at her, love pouring from his eyes, and tells her, "Your faith has saved you, go in peace" (Luke 7:50).

She understood her need for Jesus.  She was desperate for Him.  And nothing was more dear to her than hearing those words come from Her Saviour,

"Your faith has saved you, go in peace."

I watched a beautiful friend of mine go through an intense time of heartache and loss.  Yet she still clung to her Jesus and realized that this loss was her alabaster jar.  It cost her greatly, yet she didn't hold onto it.  She gave it to Him.  This is a poem that God gave me for her.

For You, My Daughter
from Your Father

I have smelled the scent of sweet incense rising
The fragrance of faith filled my throne
When others rebuked her for her abandon
She broke her heart's treasure alone

I gather the tears that puddle my feet
Each one I hold tenderly
The value I place on my daughter's faith
Is found in my own suffering

I have been the scent of sweet incense rising
The fragrance of faith filling the throne
When others rebuked me for my abandon
I broke for you, my heart's treasure, alone

My beloved, the path you trod is not even
And scars you may bear on the way
But your faith is precious to me in my Kingdom
And for your every tear my heart aches

Love, Jesus

5 comments:

Summer said...

We talked about THIS EXACT story at church on Sunday! (we read through John 12:3) Wow...very cool! We talked about "pouring out" our love for Christ and how if we DO pour out...we will gain the excess of His love.

We discussed how IF we are holding back from pouring out our love completely and totally, we will never feel that abundance of love from Him.

It was a great service.....

Thanks for sharing..

-Summer

Lisa Grace said...

What a beautiful poem for her!!! She is blessed to have a mom who is so sensitive to God.

Jennifer Nordin, LMT, CPT said...

Oh, Joye, this is such an inspiring post! With God's help I am planning to write a book about my personal faith journey intermingled with my discoveries in aromatherapy and natural medicine. The concept of becoming the aroma of Christ,in 2 Cor. has come alive for me in amazing ways as I have studied essential oils!
In the service of the Anointed One, Jen

Beth in NC said...

Oh Joye, this is beautiful! I have always loved this story, but this is precious!

Thank you so much for visiting my blog. I pray you'll come by on a regular basis. I am going to follow you to stay in touch.

Many blessings!
Beth

Kelly said...

Hi Joye! Thanks for stopping by my blog! I really enjoyed this post and the rest of your blog!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Do ask. Do tell.

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape