5.16.2009

My Grandpa: A Man After God's Own Heart

*** This morning, my Grandfather Herb passed away.  I can't tell you how conflicting my emotions are right now... I am overwhelmed with loss and at the same time I am overjoyed that he is with his Saviour.  My Grandfather's life was so rich, so full, so abundant in Christ Jesus, that our family cannot help but grieve that he has left us.  We will miss his quiet strength and his unfaltering devotion to his Lord.  His was a life of servanthood.***
"His master replied, 'Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your master's happiness!"  Matthew 24:21
My Dearest Grandpa,

My heart aches that I could not be by your side when you breathed your last breath.  I know that all of heaven was in that room.  My heart aches that I could not whisper my love to you and hold your strong hand.  I hope you heard my voice on the phone, I hope you felt my love through the Holy Spirit.  I hope you know how much your life has been a beacon for mine.

Grandpa, when I think of what a true man of God looks like, I think of you.  Always.  My earliest memories of you (and almost all of my memories!) involve the Word of God.  You would sit in your chair for hours and just read and meditate on your precious Bible.  Your face would light up and you would call us to your knee to tell us of the truths you were reading in God's Word.  Your soft eyes would take on an earnest light and you would ask us, "Joye, Jody, do you know if you're going to heaven?  Do you know that Jesus is the only way?  You can know right now...I would love to pray for you."  You were so kind, so compassionate, so full of the love of Jesus.  I never remember hearing you speak a harsh word!  You always maintained a quiet strength, a peaceful spirit!  That is a testimony in and of itself.

And the joy of the Lord, oh my dear Grandpa, you had it!  No matter how much pain you were in, you always had a sense of humor that could force even the Grinch to crack a smile.  You were always playing practical jokes on us and we loved it!  You had a passion for life that was wrapped up in the Gospel of Christ.  You never tired of sharing Jesus in EVERYTHING you did.

I cannot think of a single hobby that you had.  The thing you loved the most to do was read the Living Word of God!  I wish I could tell you what an impact that has made on my life.  I wish I could tell you how much I desire to follow in your footsteps, to forsake everything for the cross of Jesus!  You never sought after money or possessions.  Your life was lived solely for the Kingdom and I saw how God provided for you so faithfully!!  You lacked no good thing!  

I know that you are rejoicing in the presence of your Saviour--oh how you have longed for this day!  I can almost see the radiant joy on your face, I can almost hear the words of our Master and King saying to you as he pulls you into his embrace, "Well done, my good and faithful servant.  Well done!"

All my Love and all my gratitude for calling you 'Grandpa',
your granddaughter

***I will be attending my Grandpa's funeral this week, so I won't be blogging.  My love and prayers go out to all of you, though, and I look forward to catching up with you next week!***

22 comments:

Kristen @ dancing in the margins said...

Praying for you and your family. My heart breaks for your loss. It isn't easy waiting for things to be set right...

crittyjoy said...

I smiled as I looked at the photo of you and your grandpa and then reading the beautiful letter you wrote...He reminded me so much of my own Paps that I could not help but take a small trip down memory lane.

I so understand the pain you are experiencing and know that I am praying for you and your family. ((hugs))

Beth in NC said...

Oh Joye, I'm so sorry! The picture of you two is wonderful and sweet.

God bless you and your family as you grieve over your precious Grandpa.

Love,
Beth

Alleluiabelle said...

Sweet Joye,

I am so sorry for your loss.

How precious this letter is to your grandpa. Losing one so dear to your heart is never easy, but knowing that He is in the Heavenlies with our Almighty God and with Jesus at His right hand can bring you peace. He will give you grace and comfort to get through this grieving time here on earth. Your grandpa is smiling in Heaven and is now where we all wish to be some day.

My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Love & Hugs,
Alleluiabelle

Faye said...

Joye,I am so sorry.He is now with the Lord.You will always treasure the memories.I loved the pic.You will be in my prayers.Sending you lots of hugs! Love Faye

LisaShaw said...

Precious I'm so sorry for your temporary loss as you know you will be reunited with your precious Grandfather as I will be reunited with my Grandma and Grandpa in glory as well.

Your tribute to Him is beautiful and so is the photo. I struggled through this with tears as it's still a bit difficult for me as Grandpa went to be with the Lord Oct. 2007. Still seems like yesterday.

May God's comfort and peace be with you and your family. Love you.

Sheila said...

Oh Joye! This is my first time visiting your blog. Thank you for your encouraging visit at mine. Reading this just filled me with courage. Your Grandpa's testimony just stirred me up! Praise God for Him. Thank you for sharing your heart concerning him.

I'll be visiting you often :)
Sheila

Veronica said...

Joye,

I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your grandfather today. My heart aches with you. I could feel your love for him in this post, and I am so glad that you have such beautiful memories of him. I will be praying for you!!!

Love,
Veronica

He & Me + 3 said...

Sweet Joye,
your post was so heartbreaking and beautiful. what a special man your Grandfather sounded like.
I am so sorry for you loss, but your loss is Heaven's gain. He is in the arms of Jesus now. Oh blessed he is.
Praying for your family.
Hugs,
Mimi

Erica said...

I am very sorry for your loss. And my prayers go out for you and your family.

Mel at Adventures of Mel said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. We just lost my grandma in April, so I can definitely say I understand....but it sounds like he left such a wonderful legacy. It's such a deep loss, but it's also such a wonderful blessing when we know that they are with their King. You wrote so beautifully in your letter.

Natalie said...

Joye - How sorry I am to hear about your grandpa. What an amazing testimony of joyful obedience to Jesus. Does this mean you'll be in Valentine?

Love and hugs! - Natalie

Carrie said...

So sorry to hear of the loss of your Grandfather and know that he will be greatly missed. What wonderful memories you will always carry with you and know that you will feel his love and peace in your heart! You paint a beautiful picture with your words that his kindness and truth speak to us, too! Take care and blessings to you and your family.

Anonymous said...

Joye,

I am truely sorry for your loss. What a privilege to have such a Grandpa! You have been truely blessed and his devotion and heritage is seen in his grandaughter, I bet in Heaven he is pointing you out to all...Peace and comfort dear one! Hugs too..Shi~

christy rose said...

Joye,

I am so sorry for your loss. I will lift you and your family up in prayer. Your note to your Grandpa was so very touching. What a wonderful relationship you must have had. What a blessing you were given by God.

Praying for God to comfort you today.

Christy

More Than Words said...

Oh, that was so beautiful!!!

One day, you will be with him again! Isn't that awesome?

He sounds like he was a wonderful man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

God bless you!!

Jennifer Nordin, LMT, CPT said...

May your heart be comforted knowing that your Grandpa is walking with Jesus at this very moment.What a wonderful gift to have such a godly man as a spiritual mentor in your life. Blessings to you and your family, Jen

Falling Around said...

You are so truly blessed to have memories like these - to have had a grandfather that was a true and living example of Christ's love.

Heaven is sweeter today with him there.

Lord Bless You & Your Family

Kristin said...

Joye,

Somehow I missed this post the other day. I am so sorry for the loss of your Grandpa....I can see where you get your joy and your love for Christ from. He sounds like such a wonderful man and I will be praying for you and your family.

Kristin

Unknown said...

My heart cries out with you in your loss and even in your rejoycing. What a beautiful letter to your Grandpa. It touched me in an incredible way. My Grandma is so similar. She is 83. We have had 4 of our grandparents go to be with the Lord while we have been on the mission field so I can really relate to what you have written. May God wrap His comforting arms around you especially during this time.
With Christ´s love, Dani

Verna said...

Sorry for your loss. But, what great memories you have of your grandfather. Thank you for sharing. Will keep you and your family in our prayers.

Stephanie said...

Somehow I missed reading this post until now, but I just want you to know I'm praying for you! So sorry for your loss...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Do ask. Do tell.

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape