5.13.2009

Starring: Moms In HomeBiz

Here she is!  Roll out the red carpet!  Our leading lady...the mom-trepreneur!
Who's our A-List Mommy?  She's Sweet Stephanie from The Hanes Family!

Stephanie is a stay-at-home mom to her precious 10 month old, Valerie.  She's expecting another wee one in the fall and she still finds the time to manage her Etsy store: Sew Inspired By Baby!
I love mommy businesses because it takes guts to be a stay at home mom in the first place and it takes even more guts to start a business from home.  Besides that, who better to buy from than a mother? ^_^  So, every other week, I'll be hosting "Moms in HomeBiz" and I can't tell you how excited I am to introduce our newest debutante, Stephanie!

Stephanie's adorable little business will cover your babies' bums and your "uh-humms" in style.  She makes the cutest little cloth diapers, hip nursing covers, and even fleece ribbon blankies.      
Let's chat with her, shall we?

TJJ:  So, Stephanie, what made you decide to start your own business?

Stephanie:  I started sewing when I was pregnant with my daughter, though my mom has tried to teach me several times over the years. I never really cared to learn until I realized it was a great way to save money as a stay at home mom. My first project was to make curtains for the nursery. When my daughter was 2 months old we started cloth diapering her and a friend of mine gave me lots of information on how to make my own. I made my first cloth diapers for my cousin’s new baby and fell in love with sewing. I LOVED that I could see a vision for a project and follow it through to completion…and the end result was so rewarding! When I posted pictures of some of the things I was making on my blog, a few people mentioned that I should make and sell them. I didn’t take it seriously until my husband got excited about it too and encouraged me to give it a try. 

TJJ:  What was the first thing you made when you were learning to sew?

Stephanie: The first thing I EVER made on a sewing machine (that I remember) was a travel pillow bag for my dad. That took a LOT of help from my mom though.  

TJJ:  What advice would you give to a mom who is contemplating switching to cloth diapers?

Stephanie:  My advice to a mom who’s contemplating switching to cloth diapers is to do your research and make sure your husband is on board with you. I don’t think I would have even given it a try if my husband hadn’t been all for it too. Then, stick to your decision. I got some negative comments when I told people I was going to cloth diaper, but my mom reminded me it was my decision and I needed to stick up for it. Also, don’t feel bad if you realize you don’t like it. I figured if I hated it the prefolds made great burp cloths too! 

TJJ: When do you find time to sew??!

Stephanie:  I try to sew a little bit whenever I have a little free time – like when my daughter is happily playing on the floor or when she’s napping. Sometimes on the weekends, my husband will watch her while I sew. Sewing is such a creative outlet for me that I try to make time for it when I can, but I also realize that I may have to stop in the middle of a project and I’m okay with that…my number one priority right now is being a mom, which I wouldn’t trade for any other job in the world!  

TJJ:  Out of all your products which one are you the most proud of making?

Stephanie: I am the most proud of the Peek-a-boo Nursing Cover I sell in my Etsy shop. I really wanted a nursing cover when my daughter was born, but could never justify spending lots of money on one. When I started to do more sewing, I realized I could make one easily for myself. When I opened up my Etsy shop, I knew I wanted to sell my nursing covers so other moms could benefit from a less expensive (and CUTER) nursing cover. (Note: Right now I don’t have a listing for one, but I will be working on adding another one this week as well as a custom listing.)

TJJ:  I have to say that I really love your nursing cover, too!  I've gotta get one!  What about your daughter? Which product is her favorite?

Stephanie:  My daughter LOVES her Fleece Ribbon Blankie. I made it after noticing she loved to play with tags on any of her stuffed animals. At first, she loved to chew on the tags, but now she uses the blankie as a comfort on long car rides.

TJJ:  Thanks, Stephanie for giving us a peek into your life in homebiz!

To visit Stephanie's Etsy shop click here and to visit her blog click here.

6 comments:

Stephanie said...

You are TOO sweet! Thanks so much for everything Joye!

Kristin said...

I LOVE this idea Joye! You are a such a great marketing writer.....I felt like I wanted to buy every single thing because you made it so exciting!! Ha! I LOVE that owl diaper! That is precious! I love Stephanie too....her talent and etsy shop were so inspiring to me when I was trying to get my shop going. Mommy businesses are so much fun.....I love seeing what all the talented Mommies out there can come up with!

Veronica said...

Love the idea of this post. Isn't Stephanie awesome? We are loving the tag blankie we ordered! So cute!!!

He & Me + 3 said...

Those are so cute. I wish I had a little one to benefit from them. I will have to go check out her site. Thanks for the link.

Summer said...

This is such a great idea, Joye! I look forward to seeing what all of these amazing moms are doing!!! Thanks!

-Summer

Lindy said...

Joye- I'm glad I found your blog. I thought this article was great. You are a wonderful writer. I've enjoyed looking through your other posts.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Do ask. Do tell.

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape