5.11.2009

Bargain Decorating Files--Frame It Fabulous

I know I've mentioned this before, but my Mother-in-love's thumbs are so green they're glowing.  She has such a beautiful garden and I couldn't help but snap some pictures of her blossoming blooms.  She inspires me.  She really does.


I wanted to give her something special for Mother's Day, so I decided to frame the pictures I took of her flowers.  I looked everywhere for white frames and I just couldn't find anything even remotely close to my budget, so I decided to get crafty.

Bargain Tip #10:  Paint your own frames.
I found some very plain, very boring, but very affordable frames....
And Lil Man and I gave them three coats of white paint  (well, Lil Man painted one frame once and then got bored and moved on to other more exciting things...like painting his swing set...)  Then Sweetness helped me sand the frames to give them a distressed look...
I had mats cut to fit the square photos...
And now I'm thinking about making more for my own house!

15 comments:

More Than Words said...

Hi Joye!!

Wow..those are amazing, and yes, very crafty!! What a great personal touch! I bet she loved them!!!

So glad to connect w/ you in Blogland! I look forward to getting to know you more!!

HUGS!
Alicia

Kristen @ dancing in the margins said...

What a genius idea! I think I may have to do this to help decorate our new place. Your mother-in-law must have been so thrilled. : )

I've been getting caught up here on your blog (I'm a newbie, you commented on my blog the other day and I've been in love with you ever since!). I read your post on your story and would love to feature it this weekend on my Exemplify website as part of weekly feature we are starting. We'd link back to you, of course. We are spotlighting bloggers each Saturday who move us with their words. If you are interested, you can let me know at kristenschiffman@me.com.

So happy to have found your blog!

Veronica said...

Joye...the pictures of the flowers in your MIL's garden are beautiful! You're idea for the frames was great. The end result turned out amazing!!!

Kristin said...

I love framed pictures like that! I have so many things to hang up on our walls, but I can never figure out how or where to hang them and I get frustrated! Decorating is not my thing!

Carrie said...

How beautiful! I love them! It's so fun taking my own pictures and seeing them around the house...but I really love this idea...might try that! I bet she was thrilled to have those! So sweet!

Stephanie said...

Beautiful! Thanks for sharing your decorating tips!

Kelly said...

The pictures are beautiful and I love what you did with the frames! Such a great idea! I'm not crafty at all, so this gives me a really neat idea :)

Lisa Grace said...

What MARVELOUS gifts! I am going to have to try that! How do you go about finding good material for matting?
P.S. I've missed being on here and getting encouraged by your blog in the last couple of weeks; what a beautiful makeover!

He & Me + 3 said...

Those turned out fabulous. Great job!

Kristen, pajama mama said...

oh, Joye-these are such a beautiful gift! So glad to meet you!

Kelly @ Sufficient Grace Ministries said...

What a sweet gift...beautiful! And so special. I bet she loved them!

Beth in NC said...

Wow, those look great! You did an awesome job. I bet she was beside herself!

Anonymous said...

I bet she loved them! Hey, that's what they do on HGTV...Your right in style! Shi~

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet said...

WOW! Those look awesome! :D Graet job!

crittyjoy said...

I absolutely love this idea! I may have to do something like this....they turned out so beautifully...and I love the idea of making the frames as you did...so many colors you could use :) I am going to look at your other bargain ideas now :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Do ask. Do tell.

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape